Monday, February 28, 2022

Making My Holster

Jonah, Samuel, and I made holsters out of the cow that we butchered. Dad let us keep the hide so that we could tan it.  It was very exciting!



First, we scraped the extra meat off the hide. Then we put it in some aluminum sulfate so that the hair would fall off. About three days later, we took it out and scraped the hair off. Then we salted it and put it in a bucket for later. The last step was to put it in tanning solution.


After we tanned the hide, we cut it into individual pieces so that everyone could have a section. We got to work on cutting out our patterns for our holsters. We got to make our own leather straps by cutting it in circles.

Then I started sewing my holster together. I went in and out and in and out again until it was done. then I tried it on. It was a little bit loose, but I got it adjusted. It was exciting.

Then I got my cap gun and stuck it in. It fit nicely!

Now I could play with it.

It has been great working on my holster. working on leather is enjoyable. You can make almost anything out of leather.
~Isaac

No comments: