Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Snakes Alive!!!

Snakes are one of my favorite reptiles we keep on Critter Corner, because they can move quickly without legs, and because they can smell with their tongue. I also love snakes because they are scaly and because they have more ribs than any other animal on the earth.


Some of my favorite snakes are, rat snakes, green snakes, hognose snakes, king snakes, and garter snakes. Hognose snakes are not usually found on Providence Prairie, but when they are, they are enjoyed greatly.


Just recently I caught a common garter snake out by our wood pile! I took it to Critter Corner and put it in a glass aquarium. I was excited to catch the snake, because we have not caught very many snakes this year, and this kind of snake was fun to watch up close.



I made the snake a home and left him there for a day. Then I went out and caught a small toad. When I put the toad in with the snake, the snake quickly grabbed it and began swallowing it! Garter snakes are not constrictors, so they swallow their prey alive. I watched as the toad slowly disappeared into the mouth of the snake, and as the toad disappeared, a lump appeared in the snake’s belly! Soon the toad was gone.


Garter snakes are one of the few snakes that give live birth, which is one of the reasons why I like them and think they're special. I also like Garter snakes because they sometimes hibernate together. Snakes are amazing reptiles, I am glad God put them on the earth for us to enjoy.
~Samuel




No comments: