Friday, May 13, 2022

My Little Patch


We kids have wanted to have our own gardens for a long time. We have a great big family garden that we all work in and enjoy harvesting. But the question was where we would put small ones of our own, and what kind of seeds we could use. Well, this year, Dad found the most wonderful spot ever, by the chicken pen, in the sun.


The next question: where would we get the seeds? Last fall and over the winter, we have been saving seeds. We kids got our seeds from gleaning corn in our fields, from pumpkins we ate, and golden canary melon we got from the store.


The time came to get started planting. What I did to prepare my plot was to mix some manure with my dirt and moisten the soil by sprinkling the dirt with water. I made a mound for my corn, then planted my seeds. That was easy but working up the soil was challenging.


I have planted a lot in my little patch. I even put a fence around it to keep the chickens out. Planting my own garden was very fun. I like working in my cool little spot and I plan to do it again next year.
~Unique

No comments: