Thursday, May 12, 2022

Incredible Cow Horns


Last year when we took one of our cows to the butcher man in town, we asked to have the horns and hide of the animal to take home. The man said yes, and in a few days, he called and said that the meat along with the hide and horns were ready to be picked up. Mom and Dad went to pick them up, and when they got back, I was surprised to see the horns were still connected to the head! We also saw that the tail of the cow was connected to the hide! We disconnected the horns from the head, and the tail from the hide and threw away the parts that we did not want. Now we could make things out of the hide and horns.


Isaac and Jonah had both made powder horns from the previous cow, but these horns were very long and would not work as well. Mom said it would be cool to make a shofar, and so we looked up how to make them. After we found that it was not hard to make a shofar, I decided to turn the two cow horns into shofars.


I cut off the tips of the horns, and since part of the horn is solid, I took a drill and dilled out the solid part. Now I had two completely hollow horns. I then used a bigger drill bit and made the hole a bit bigger at the entrance.






Now the instrument was ready for testing. I gathered everyone up, and we went outside to see if the shofar would work. I took a deep breath and blew… but nothing happened. I tried over and over, and still, I could not make it work. Then Mom asked to try. After her first few tries, she got it to blow! 


How happy I was to know that my shofars actually worked! I took another try and I got it to work! I finished up the horn, by taking some sand paper and sanding the smallest end to make it smooth. The two shofars were complete, and they both work wonderfully well.


It's amazing to think that two cow horns could make such a loud clear noise. The are sure incredible cow horns.

~Samuel

No comments: