Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Hidden Brick



About a month ago, we went to our local library to get some books to read. When we got closer to town, we saw them working on the road. When we got closer, we saw brick under the black top! 


I was surprised to see the brick because I didn’t know it was hidden there under the blacktop road. 


I think it’s very fascinating how all the roads used to be brick.


The first brick road in America, was laid in Charleston, West Virginia, in 1873. The inventor was Mordecai Levi, who wanted to fix the problem of dirt roads when they got wet, because they got muddy. The brick road also let the water go through the cracks of them and it was smoother for wagons and cars to drive on. Bricks were extremely durable as it took about one hundred years before they needed replaced! They last for a lot longer than blacktop!



I like driving on old brick roads, because it’s amazing to think that a long time ago wagons and old cars used to drive on the very same road, too. 


I think brick roads are very cool, and pretty. I'm happy that Dad let us take the time to walk on the hidden bricks.


~Jonah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jonah, I think they are cool too. So much prettier. It's surprising to me that they didn't dig them up before they laid the blacktop. So neat to know all the roads hold so much memory and history "down below." Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Well written!