Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Cardinal Crash

A couple of years ago, I was walking around minding my own business, when I heard something wham against the window.  Distracted by the sound, I looked out the window and there was a Cardinal bird.  That is the Illinois state bird!  I wanted to get it before the cats did, so I ran out and picked it up.  I found out that it was a male. 

The male cardinal bird is completely red except the black around their short, cone shaped beak and near their eyes. They get their red color from the food that they eat. They mate for life, so I wondered where his mate was hiding.

A full-size cardinal bird can grow up to seven and a half to nine inches long.  The one that I found was about seven inches long.  His eyes were closed, and I wasn’t sure if he was alive or not.  I brought the cardinal bird inside and showed him to Mom. She said that he was knocked out when he flew into the window.  He thought that the window was not there because it reflected the sky.  She said that we could put him in a cage until he was awake and ready to fly away. 

About thirty minutes later he was ready to fly, so we let him go. I gently took him out of the cage, and we went outside on the porch.  He wanted to fly away, and we let him take off.  I was hoping that he wouldn’t hit the window again.  It was exciting to see him take flight!


“Then God said, …… let birds fly above the earth in the open expanse of the heavens.” Genesis1:20 

~Isaac


No comments: