Friday, October 8, 2021

A Celery Encounter

One time while Mom was cutting up celery, she cut off the bottom of the vegetable and asked me if I wanted it to plant it. I said yes and got to work transplanting it in the playground by the spit rail fence. I put a container around it so the chickens could not get it. Then soon it began to grow. Little by little it got bigger.



The ancient Greeks valued celery highly and awarded it as a prize to winners in many of their sport contests. The vegetable was grown in France in 1623, and in 1776 celery seed was sold in England for the growing of plants to be used in flavoring soups and stews.

I kept checking my plant every day. Finally, it was ready to harvest. It was not a big celery.  It was quite small, but we put it in the fridge anyway. I had fun with the experience of growing my own celery to eat.


Celery has been grown commercially in the United States since about 1880. California and Florida are the two-leading celery-producing states, but it is also grown in many other states in the eastern and western United States.



The leaves of celery are rich in potassium, sodium, and sulfur. They have a bunch of Vitamin A and C which is very good for your body. I like to eat celery in soups. I like it with peanut butter and raisins. It is delicious!

~Unique

No comments: