Wednesday, April 20, 2022

I Found One!


A couple of days ago, we all went mushroom hunting! We got our buckets, bags, and containers and headed out into the woods. We started looking on the trail at the bottom of the orchard.


When we got to the end, Unique yelled, “I found one!” and I went over to see it. It was a little Morel mushroom, about three inches tall. Unique was overly excited to find the first mushroom this year!


We continued to look around the spot where Unique found hers, then I found one, too! It was a little bigger than Unique’s mushroom, about five inches long. I was awfully glad to find one.


Morel mushrooms are my favorite kind of eating mushroom. They can grow up to about a foot long! They are hollow on the inside and have little pits all over them, except their base. They like to grow in damp places, and beside old, rotted tree stumps and logs.


Yesterday, Unique and I went to look for some more mushrooms. We looked where we found the other ones a couple of days before, but we found none. I hope to find a bunch this year. Maybe as it gets warmer, they will come out more!

~Jonah

No comments: