Saturday, April 23, 2022

Forty Years My Queen


April 23rd 1982 was the year Rhonda became a queen. I had just been crowned Prom King at Lynchburg-Clay High School and I knew what I wanted to do. Rhonda was my date for the event and during the first dance following the crowning I had a very important question for her. As we swayed back and forth to the music, I looked down at her and asked if she would go steady with me and be my queen? She looked up at me with those beautiful blue eyes and curly hair and to my delight she said Yes! Since that day, forty years have passed while our love has grown.


Our kingdom has had many adventures over the years and Rhonda has risen to the challenge on every occasion. 


From selling our comfortable home in Ohio and traveling with no destination in mind, homesteading without electricity or running water for four years, raising and educating ten children, or hiking 175 miles on the River to River trail without proper training, she has performed elegantly, allowing me to pursue whatever dreams seemed good to attempt.


The list could go on, as we built our own house, ran and was elected to political office, fostered and adopted children, started a music business, managed hospital labs, hosted prairie events at our farm, helped in churches, served in the National Guard, and the excitement never seems to end.


It continues to be a blessing to have such a wonderful lady to spend life with as time marches on. To be able to share together the blessing of children and knowing they are all baptized believers of Jesus Christ makes our joy complete. We currently enjoy the benefit of thirteen grandchildren with another on the way.


If you are familiar with the song “1982” by Randy Travis, it was surrounded with sadness at what he did not do. The song says:

Operator, please connect me with 1982.
I need to make apologies for what I didn't do
I sure do need to tell her that I've thought the whole thing through
And now it's clear that she is what I should have held on to

They say hindsight's 20/20 but I'm nearly going blind
From staring at her photograph and wishing she was mine
It's that same old lost love story it's sad but it's true
There was a time when she was mine in 1982.

Postman, can you sell me a special kind of stamp
One to send a letter from this crazy, lonely man
Back into the wasted years of my living past
I need to tell her now I know how long my love will last

They say hindsight's 20/20 but I'm nearly going blind
From staring at her photograph and wishing she was mine
It's that same old lost love story it's sad but it's true
There was a time when she was mine in 1982
Losing my mind going back in time to 1982


My story is a wonderful story of love and foresight with my queen, as we keep looking forward at what’s to come. It is not a story of regret, but of victory and excitement and I do not have to sing a song of wishing she was mine, because she is mine.


Since looking down at her forty years ago and asking that special question she has only become more beautiful. We smile together as we look at the past, enjoy our time in the present, and look forward to the days to come and the new challenges that will arise for us to share in. I am so thankful that the answer was an enthusiastic YES when we were a mere 18 years old in 1982.


~Mark McDaniel

No comments: