Friday, June 3, 2022

My Very Own Net

A couple days ago I was looking through the American Boys Handy Book, and I saw how to make a net. So, I decided to try to make it. I got string and a Y shaped stick that I could bend into a circle. Then I got started.


First you trim off all other branches to leave only the Y. Bend the two branches until the ends overlap each other. Now you have a circle. Tie them together securely. Now you can start stringing the strings.


You make a slipknot around the branch circle, leaving the two sides of the string to hang down. Continue this the whole way around the circle. The next step is to tie the knots, to form the net. The weaving is kind of hard but in a couple of hours it looked good.


I noticed that the net was not going to be the net that I thought it was. I was planning to catch minnows with it, but instead it could only hold big fish.


With the knowledge I know that I have now, I can make a net with smaller holes to catch minnows in it. I am glad that I looked through the American Boys Handy Book. I enjoyed the challenge that I had making my very own net.

~Isaac

No comments: