Wednesday, June 22, 2022

All That Glitters Isn’t Gold


When I was walking down the driveway on a nice and warm afternoon, I spotted a shining piece of crystal. I picked it up and examined the rock. It was gold! I stuck it in my pocket.

Later on, when we went inside, I showed everyone the gold. I was excited. I was pretty sure it was fool’s gold, but it was so thrilling, because who knows? It could be real. Fool’s gold is also called pyrite.

Gold is a metal that is very rare. A shiny mineral that looks like gold is pyrite. It looks like gold but it’s not. Gold has no smell, which pyrite does have. Pyrite smells like rotten eggs. Pyrite is a lot harder and more fragile than gold. If you use a hammer on gold, it will become flat but will not break. Pyrite will make a sharp spark when you hit it with a hammer.

Then I had the idea of making a museum. I wanted to find more gold. So, I went to the driveway again. Everyone wanted to find the kind of rock I did. So, with me, came Moriah and Galilee. We searched a lot and we found some more. We had a lot of fun looking for them. The gold we found was so amazing and I put it in the museum we made. We have also been looking alongside the road and have found some.

Finding the gold made me so excited that I have looked every day. The pieces I have found the most are surrounded with crystal. Others have tar on them. In my collection I have seventeen pieces of gold. The shininess of the golden rock is so great to have in your hands. We tested one of the rocks by using a hammer to break it open and ours broke, but it did not make a spark. This told us that our piece was not gold. We looked at the pyrite under the microscope. It was cool.

I discovered that all that glitters isn’t gold. I like to pretend that it is real gold. It is amazing what can turn up on your driveway. I think so, don’t you? 

~Unique

No comments: