Saturday, June 4, 2022

Lizards High and Low

Every year when it starts getting warm and throughout the summer, I walk down the driveway to catch the Eastern Fence lizards.

A couple of days ago, I caught four eastern fence lizards about three inches long. They were sitting on our split rail fence! I took them up to the house and put them in one of our aquariums on Critter Corner, to keep them for a while. Samuel caught five big lizards; they were about six inches long!

Eastern fence lizards are grey with a little bit of brown on them. They can grow up to be almost a foot long! They are amazingly fast and hard to catch. They live in open Woodland, brush, prairies, sand dunes, open rocky hillsides, farmlands, and abandoned buildings. They even live in old dead trees. Males have blush patches on each side of their belly and two widely separated blue patches on the throat. The males are the prettiest.

Eastern fence lizards are one of my favorite kind of lizards to keep on Critter Corner. They are easy to tame, and it is fun to watch them eat. We feed them little grasshoppers and mealworms. To water them we sprinkle a little water on the rocks and sticks in their cage.
We have an enjoyable time keeping eastern fence lizards on Critter Corner. I enjoy feeding them, looking at them, and holding them. I even enjoy letting them go after we all are done with them, because I know that the next time I am walking down the driveway, I might see the lizards again.

~Jonah

No comments: