Tuesday, October 3, 2023

What I Found In My Net


With the net from Critter Corner, I strolled to the hay field, to see what kind of insects I might capture. As I walked through the tall grass, I swung the net in front of me to catch anything in my path. When I thought the net was full, I moved to a clearing to investigate whether there was anything trapped in my net.


As I slowly looked in, I saw something green climbing up the side. To my excitement, it was a praying mantis! Mantids come in various colors- white and red, green, brown, grey with black spots, and a lot more selections. I put my green insect in the container I had brought with me. After a little more searching, I headed down to the house to add the new insect to Critter Corner.


Then I had an idea. Why not catch and raise these remarkable creatures? I took our butterfly house and put about two inches of dirt in the bottom of it. I dug up grass with its roots to plant in the soil. When that was completed, I placed the praying mantis in his new home. I had to supply his food, so I returned to the field to gather grasshoppers for him to eat.


With nearly ten grasshoppers now in with the mantis, I went out to gather more mantids. I was incredibly pleased that I ended up catching three more praying mantises that day! The insects were about three inches long, and some were brown and others green.


To hunt, the mantis sits very still and waits for its prey to come to him. A praying mantis is the only insect that has stereo-vision. This means that both eyes can focus on the same target at the same time. When the insect gets into reach, as quick as lightning the mantis shoots out its arms, grabbing the insect to devour. Its front arms are covered in little jagged barbs. These help it grip its meal in a firm hold.


After keeping the insects for about a month, it was time to let them go. I took them to a tall grassy spot and watched them crawl away. It was a little sad to see them go, but I knew I would see them again next year as a new generation of mantids. Praying mantises are very amazing insects and are wonderful to see and study.
~Jonah

No comments: