Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Hand-Me-Downs

Eden wearing Unique's little blue dress

Having been blessed with three older sisters and a younger one also, I inherited the privilege of receiving and giving hand-me-downs. To me, hand-me-downs are so special.

Hand knitted sweaters passed down from Amanda and Rachel

Although there are so many ways my sisters and I connect and build our relationships together, (like through letters and long talks, cooking, playing, visiting, crafting, and working together etc.) bundling up in a cozy sweater my sister wore before me, twirling around in one of her favorite dresses, or passing down a well-loved article of clothing myself, is one of the ways I feel bonded and closer to them.

 

There being the five of us, sometimes clothes get passed, passed again, and passed again! Jayla and I have sweaters that Mama made for our older sisters, and that one day we will pass on to Unique. She has worn many things that were passed down from me, which I got from Jayla. So, the clothing goes down the chain, link by link.

  


Hand-me-downs aren’t limited to clothing either. Jewelry, special trinkets, stories, games, tips, and songs all get passed down from one sibling to the next. A tea set from my older sister, passed down to Jayla and then to me, sits in my closet to be used whenever nieces are here and want an hour or two “over tea!” 

  

Earrings, necklaces, and bracelets, a little more worn or tarnished at each switch-over, hang in the jewelry boxes of us three girls still at home. Stories, hand games, and silly songs, which most of the time originated with Dad or Mama, all passed from older mouth to younger mind, and so on, and so on.

 

Now, the daughters of our two married sisters wear shirts and dresses and sweaters passed down from their aunties before them. Even little Eden wears clothing that Aunt Unique used to wear nearly twelve years ago. I always love to see one of my nieces wearing something that I can remember being my favorite outfit!


As long as there are older sisters, there will always be hand me downs. I will never mind though, because my sisters and what is special to them will always be important to me. I will treasure any hand me down that comes my way and will be grateful for the ability to be able to pass anything on to those younger than me.

 
~Halayah

No comments: