Tuesday, January 18, 2022

A Tank Full Of Fun

In October before it got cold, I asked Mom and Dad if we could bring one of the aquariums from Critter Corner inside to put lizards in over winter, and they said yes! I filled the tank up with dirt and planted some grass in it. When I got that done, I brought the tank inside and put it on top of the pie safe cabinet.


Then I went out to look for some lizards and crickets. I found lots of crickets, but no lizards. I kept looking and looking for lizards, but I found none. I looked under a big log and found a salamander, but still no lizards. I caught the salamander and put it in the tank, and I put the crickets in it too.


That same week, Samuel and I found two more salamanders and put them in the tank. We still had no lizards, and it was getting colder outside. We now have in the tank, lots of crickets, snails, a wolf spider and three salamanders.


Every week, we feed the salamanders meal worms. It is fun to watch the salamanders eat. We also feed the snails and crickets little pieces of carrot and lettuce. Sometimes we give them a little piece of fruit. Every day, we pour a little water in the aquarium to keep the plants watered and so the salamanders can stay moist.


We never found any lizards, but I am still glad we brought the tank inside. The salamanders are happy, the crickets have laid eggs, the spider is fun to watch, and there are little baby snails everywhere. It has been fun watching the creatures throughout the cold months of winter.

~Jonah

No comments: