Friday, September 16, 2022

For the Love Of Leisure Suits


Christmas 1977

I remember well the very “cool” days of the leisure suit from the 1970’s. Turning thirteen in 1976 put me at the heart of the leisure suit fashion trend and my mom made sure I was in style! 

Christmas 1976

Vivid memories fill my mind with visions of Jack Tripper from Three’s Company, Steve Austin- the Six Million Dollar Man, John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever, Evil Knievel, the Bee Gees or me, Mark McDaniel eighth grade Valentine Dance King of Lynchburg-Clay, as we all sported the relaxing, newly designed polyester duds.


          

Lee Jeans produced the first outfits after Jerry Rosengarten designed them in 1970. They were first touted as business suits but quickly turned into popular casual wear due to the comfort level and flex of the polyester material. The suits consisted of matching jacket and trousers and most often came in pastel colors or earth tone plaids. The pants were somewhat bell bottom and the jacket displayed two large patch pockets and massive lapels that opened wide, allowing the exposure of chest hair. It was often paired with a loud-print open poly shirt and a gold chain or medallion. Oh, were they a site to see!

8th Grade Graduation 1978

The cool suits continued in style throughout the later part of my teen years, where I could be spotted at any point with either my light blue, tan, or jeans-colored attire at special events. Dances were especially fun, as I would sway back and forth or attempt to boogie, while feeling groovy in the special garb. I felt especially smug, as I led the seniors in during my junior year, along with Tricia Little, all the while sporting my leisure suit.

1981

I was able to once again bring a leisure suit alive during the recent wedding of my nephew. He was doing a 1970’s themed ceremony, so I took my chance to relive the moment. With my old suits no longer around, Rhonda spied one for sale on Marketplace and I was back in business! The authentic light seafoam green get-up fit perfectly, and I was transformed back forty years. Rhonda fixed her hair in a Cheryl Tiegs sort of feathered way, while dressing the part and looking amazing! We made quite the couple and definitely stood out in the crowd. 


My daughter-in-law, Clair even got in on the act, as we hammed it up together. I may have embellished it up a bit more than I did years ago, but the general fashion was the same and fun was had by all.


The cool suits faded from fad to joke by the early 1980’s and were replaced with some other fashion whim. They did make their mark on history however, and will forever be ingrained in my mind as the coolest look of the century.

My stylish mom
~Mark



No comments: