Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Lamb's Quarters For the Table


Today after doing the feeding, I went to check the watermelon plants I planted three weeks ago. While I was looking at them, I noticed several lamb’s quarter plants growing beside the chicken house. I remembered how good they tasted cooked in bacon grease, so I picked a handful for dinner.


I washed them, then got out the cast iron skillet and bacon grease. I put a spoonful of the grease into the skillet, and when the skillet got hot, I put the lamb’s quarters in. I salted them and let them cook for about five minutes. Then I took them out and they were ready to eat. They tasted really good.


Lambs quarters are good for all kinds of things. They are high in fiber, protein, and are loaded with both Vitamins A and C. They also have a bit of iron in them. Did you know that lamb’s quarters are also called pigweed? Lamb’s quarters can be found mostly in gardens, mulch piles, and disturbed areas. The lamb’s quarters I picked were weeds in our garden boxes, and along fence rows, and woodland edges.


While considered to be a weed by most people, lamb’s quarters are actually a very versatile plant. It can be eaten raw like spinach, or dried. The leaves can be used for salad, the tender stems can be eaten raw or boiled, and the seeds can even be used for bread! That is very remarkable.


Lambs quarters got their name from the ancient English festival called “Lammas quarters.” The festival was held in August. A lamb was brought to the altar. With the meal, they had vegetables, lamb’s quarters, and bread to celebrate the year’s harvest.


I am glad God created plants that can be eaten, and I am glad I decided to pick lambs quarters. They tasted very good and are very healthy for you.



~Jonah

No comments: