Thursday, November 18, 2021

Marigold Mayhem

This spring, I once again set about designing our vegetable garden.  Since it is primarily raised beds, I penciled in the details on the graph that I designed specifically for the task.  It helps me to keep track of the what was planted in which box the previous year and how many plants or seeds we need to accomplish our goals of feeding our family. 



This year,  I had a novel idea! I adore the old fashioned beauty and long lasting color of the simple marigold. Some eschew the marigold's strong scent, but I find it a pleasing reminder of simple times and self sufficiency. 



I planted the humble flower from seeds harvested in prior years. Each corner and middle of each box in the garden got its pinch of these companion planting nematode warriors! I could envision the autumn ablaze with the orange, rust, and yellow frost resistant blossoms. They would outshine the traditional chrysanthemums in lasting radiance. And they have! 




The main problem,  is that they totally overtook practically every tomato and pepper plant that we tried to grow! No nematodes! Only weak sun starved spindles of a plant! The marigolds thrived and overshadowed the others! 


Needless to say, we do have a beautiful garden. Did you guess that we didn't have enough tomato crop to can juice, sauce, or salsa? By the time we noticed, they were too big to pull out without harming the vegetables. 


I suppose that there's always next year.  But you can bet that the marigold mayhem will be limited to the perimeter of our garden!
~Rhonda

No comments: