Thursday, September 7, 2023

The Tale of Two Instruments


My tale begins last fall, when our family was singing at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. A gentleman from the audience came to us after our performance and asked us to sing for a revival in Ohio in the spring. He sweetened the offer by promising my little brother an electric bass if we came. When spring rolled around, we found ourselves at the Allensburg Church of Christ.


True to his word, Bob Stevens pulled the bass out soon after we arrived, and it was beautiful. Before long, the instrument was hooked up to the amp. Samuel’s playing around on it sounded good for not having played a bass before. He liked it right away.


Prior to the revival, we had been watching an old 1955 T.V. show called “What’s My Line.” We decided to change our usual family introduction to one like that of this old game show, where each member on the panel introduced the panelist to their left. As such, it would prove to be more interesting, not knowing what crazy thing the person next to you had in mind to say. Samuel introduced Unique as being very talented, knowing how to clog, yodel, and play the ukulele. Many people came up later that night stating their hopes of hearing her play the ukulele the next day. As she hadn’t brought hers, we were off to find one in the morning.



As we entered the music store, my dream stood there looking right at me. Dark and beautiful, it brought to mind all the beautiful sounds played by its kind. It was a gorgeous cello, but it had a pretty price tag, too. We all looked around, admiring the instruments in the shop, but I kept coming back to that cello. While everyone meandered here and there admiring everything that was offered for sale, Dad and Mama were looking for a good ukulele. Mama found a beautiful mahogany tenor ukulele that she would claim for her own. It was a good quality instrument, and she was pleased with it. Leaving the store, I was sure that poor cello was going to miss me. As I walked out the door, I believe I heard the cello groan a low disappointed bass note.


That night as part of his introduction, Samuel presented me as his big sister Jayla who was currently unattached. With a big smile, I told the crowd that I had just fallen in love that day. Everybody let out a sweet, “Aww!” I continued “…with a cello in a music shop.” Per request, Unique accompanied herself on the ukulele while yodeling a great song for the crowd.


In the audience that night sat one of Mama’s cousins along with his granddaughter who loved Unique’s song so much. She had always wanted to learn how to play the ukulele. Roger got to thinking about his cello and suggested a trade proposition for Dad. Were we actually going to have a cello? Before I knew it, there in my hands was a cello, I was really holding it, and it was possibly going to be ours! Both the look on his granddaughter’s face and my excitement was enough to ensure the value of the trade on either side.


Straight away we had a new addition to the family, a beautiful cello that currently stands sentinel in a corner of the house. I am thankful for it. I’m no cellist…yet, that is, but I am working on it. While my tale of two instruments may draw to a close, the story lives on in every note played on either instrument, whether in practice, performance, or the composition of beautiful pieces of music.
~Jayla

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaah the beautiful sound of a cello❤

Providence Prairie said...

Isn't it soothing?!