Tuesday, July 4, 2023

On the Banks Of Providence Prairie’s Pond


A couple of days ago, I was walking around the pond to see if I could catch anything for Critter Corner. There on the bank, I saw bunches of baby toads. My first thought was to catch two or three baby turtles and then feed the toads to the turtles. Then I thought again. Maybe I could have a toad farm. There are over 500 different species of toads.


I ran back to the porch and filled a glass terrarium with a little bit of dirt. Afterward, I put a few rocks in the glass container. It was almost completed, but I thought that it needed something green. It was missing some grass. I dug up two plants and planted them in the soil. Now it looked lovely and was finished.


I ran back to the pond with a small animal tank to hold the toads in until I put them in the terrarium back on the porch. There, still on the bank of Providence Prairie’s Pond were all the toads still hopping around! One silly amphibian swam out into the pond and a fish saw it and swallowed him whole! Common toads can live up to around 10-12 years, but he sure didn’t!


I noticed some frogs swimming under the edge of the water into the mucky mush. I caught a couple of them, too. They are so hard to catch because they jump when I get ready to catch them! Frogs are generally longer than toads because they have longer legs. The biggest frog in the world is the Goliath f
rog. It can get up to over a foot in length. The biggest toad in the world is the Cane toad. It can grow to 9-10 inches in length.


I put a container of water in so that the frogs would have water to swim in and places to hide in also.  


I caught about ten little toads. I used a net to capture the hoppers that were in the water. I put all the toads and frogs that I seized into my nice-looking terrarium. I was happy watching as they jumped or swam around. They loved their new home. You never know what you might find on the banks of Providence Prairie's Pond!
~Isaac

No comments: