Tuesday, October 11, 2022

The Big Red Machine

1971

Ranked amongst the greatest Major League baseball teams of all time were the 1975 and 1976 Cincinnati Reds, appraised 28th and 23rd respectively as all-time best teams. Therefore, growing up as a teen boy near Cincinnati in the 1970’s, there was no other team to root for that could come close to the excitement produced by that lineup. Hall of fame names such as Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, Ken Griffey, and Manager- Sparky Anderson, along with other huge names such as Pete Rose, George Foster, Caesar Geronimo, and Dave Concepcion made up the heart of the Big Red Machine. Collectively referred to as the "great eight," they played 88 games together during the 1975 and 1976 seasons, losing only 19.


I remember listening to or watching as many games as possible on media outlets, even holding a transistor radio to my ear while mowing the lawn! I knew the stats, schedule, and the personalities of each individual. 

Isaac wearing my Tony Perez t-shirt from the 70's 

I was enthralled with many players, but 1st baseman Tony Perez (Doggie), was who I looked up to most. I mimicked his batting stance and admired his calm, cool, and collected personality. He could always come through in a clutch and save the day! And then I would hear Joe Nuxhall with Marty Brennaman exclaiming, "And this one belongs to the Reds!" What an exhilarating feeling!


Moving to Southern Illinois twenty-five years ago, I thought maybe I could root for the Chicago Cubs. It would be a stretch for me, but since this was Illinois, it seemed logical that I would try to root for a team in the same state. I was in shock, however, when I learned that I had moved into Cardinal country!!!! The Cardinals, the enemy of the Reds!! I felt this would be a hurdle I would never be able to overcome!

Cardinals/Reds Game at Busch Stadium 2022

While still a Reds fan, I have over the years come to appreciate the exceptional organization that the Cardinals have, and the fact that they are a great and exciting team. I can even go to a Reds/Cardinals game at Busch stadium wearing red and root for both teams and always feel good about which ever team wins! Roots do run deep however, especially when the team of your youth was one of the most amazing teams baseball has ever produced. The Big Red Machine (Cincinnati Reds), will probably always have that special place in my heart, bringing good memories to share and pass on to my children, (and my children's children☺).
~Mark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story Mark. My paternal grandfather was a full fledged Cincinnati Reds fan too. He was an old fashion barber and lived in Springerton, Illinois most of his adult life. I can remember him listening to every game on his transistor radio. That little radio is one of my favorite things from his past and it still works.
Susie Willis