Thursday, March 7, 2024

As Slick as Can Be


The snow fell lightly in slow small flakes. It was not enough to sled ride in because it would melt as soon as it touched the driveway. “That is very disappointing,” I thought as I looked outside the window from where I was sitting on our couch.

The days just got colder and colder. The hoses began to freeze up and not work. That meant carrying water from the ponds we have. The boys would go and unhook the faucet every night. Everything was icy and slick.


When it was about four degrees and no snow was around, Samuel and I went to check the Frog Pond. It is a pond that is not very deep. It’s perfect for ice skating. We went and checked it, and it was not ready yet because the ice let out loud cracking noises, like it was groaning.

As we walked back down, I had a great idea. “The creek is smaller, and it is probably frozen by now. That might be a good spot,” I said. The house was now in plain sight.


I pulled on my rubber boots and took another long walk to the creek with Isaac, and we went scouting for a good spot to skate. We strolled along some of the thinner ice, and it cracked. We kept moving up the creek for a better spot.


We were near the top of the creek and there in front of us was a decent sized ice patch. It had a little snow on it, and we slid around to make it slick. Soon it was as slick as can be.


We ran a little way on top of the frozen water, then slid as far as we could, and it was slick. It was the iciest thing I have seen this year so far. We slid around for a while till it was time to go in and eat dinner.


Finally, the Frog Pond was frozen enough to be able to be skated on. We skated for a long time and played a lot of ice hockey. We only had two pairs of skates. Jayla and Halayah used them and the rest of us skated in our boots. I was glad I didn’t use the skates because Jayla fell a whole bunch and hurt her knee, bruising it up. She has been limping ever since.


The fun hours I had up on the ice is an unreplaceable memory I will always treasure. We had a bunch of fun with all games we played all over Providence Prairie. It was as slick as can be.


~Unique

No comments: